Wrangell, Alaska (KINY) – The Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation (AFDF) has announced the entries in the 2024 Alaska Symphony of Seafood.
Since 1994, AFDF has organized the “Symphony,” a competition for commercial-ready value-added products made from Alaska seafood. The Symphony is an exciting platform that encourages companies to invest in value-added product development, helps promote those new products, and competitively positions Alaska seafood in national and global markets. Product development is critically important to the entire industry and the fishing communities that depend on it. Innovative new products allow the industry to remain relevant to consumers, encourages full utilization, and helps diversify markets.
Previous winners and entrants have leveraged the Symphony platform and continue to see increased sales
and market exposure of their products. The first of this year’s events, the Seattle Open House, will be held on the evening of November 7, 2023, co-hosted with Northwest Fisheries Association, at Bell Harbor Conference Center. Here, all products will be prepared and displayed by professional culinary staff. Following the judging, an Open House will be held for all entrants, seafood industry invitees, sponsors, the press, and the judges. The next event will be an awards ceremony in Juneau on February 21, 2024, co-hosted by United Fishermen of Alaska, allowing the display and sampling of products by the Alaska Legislature and other special guests. Visit the AFDF website for more information about the Symphony, including sponsorship opportunities and upcoming dates.
Meet the Entriesfor 2024
The following companies entered their innovative value-added products into this year’s Symphony.
Visit the AFDF website for photos of each product:
- Ocean Beauty Seafoods – Thai Chile Lime Salmon Burger
Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation
P.O. Box 2223, Wrangell, AK 99929
- Ocean Beauty Seafoods – Echo Falls Smoked Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Nuggets
- Heavy Weather Fish Co – Wild Bristol Bay, Alaska Smoked Salmon
- High Liner Foods – Sea Cuisine Mediterranean Salmon
- High Liner Foods – Sea Cuisine Smoked Applewood Salmon
- Fisherman’s Kitchen – Smoked Salmon Summer Sausage
- Trident Seafoods – Wild Alaska Pollock Country Style Bites
- Trident Seafoods – Wild Alaska Premium Sockeye Hatch Chile Burger
- E & E Foods – Wild Alaska Sockeye Salmon Breakfast Sausage
- Trident Seafoods – Kraken Stash IPA Beer Battered Wild Alaska Pollock Fillets
CATEGORY: BEYOND THE PLATE
- Trident Seafoods – AK Naturals 100% Wild Caught Alaska Salmon Skin Dog Treats
- Polkadog – Polkadog Cod Skins
- Polkadog – Polkadog Cod Chips
- Polkadog – Polkadog Alaskan Salmon Chips
- SeaSoaked Skin – Nourishing Sea+Garden Body Oil
- Creative Native – Salmon Fish Skin Leather
CATEGORY: AROUND THE PLATE (New!)
- Whidbey Island Seafood Company – Smoked Blackcod Pate
- Fisherman’s Kitchen – Smoked Salmon Pepper Sticks
- Glacier Delights dba The Bear House in Alaska — Alaska Seafood Crunchies – Wild Fish & Sea Cucumber
AFDF continues its initiative to expand the positive impacts of the Symphony for the Alaska seafood industry. The industry has invested heavily in quality improvements (both during harvesting and processing). Increased quality at the point of harvest improves quality throughout the supply chain. This allows high-quality value-added products, which is truly something to promote and celebrate. Therefore, the timing could not be better to expand awareness of the high-quality value-added products made with Alaska Seafood.
The Symphony will feature eight separate special awards: Grand Prize, Salmon Choice, Whitefish Choice, Seattle People’s Choice, Juneau People’s Choice, Bristol Bay Choice, Best Packaging and Best Grab & Go in addition to the categories of Retail, Food Service, Beyond the Plate, and Around the Plate. The new special awards will allow more opportunities for promotion and recognition, including increased exposure for value-added products out of Bristol Bay.